Lab 0.0: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Game Design
This lab is simple, and the first lab in this course. Just get a few points.
Follow these directions:
- Read all of the directions before you begin.
- Go to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Text Adventure on the BBC's website.
- Play the game. Among other things, you will need to cure your headache, keep your home from being demolished, go to the pub, return to your home, and go aboard a space ship. If you get stuck, type RESTART.
- Your goal is to get at least 33 out of 400 points (by getting off of the planet). You can check you score at any time by typing SCORE (or checking the status bar at the top). Getting to 33 without help before the end of class is worth a token.
- Don't Panic. Trust yourself: if you've made it to this class, you can complete this challenge. If you can get 45+ points before the bell rings without checking any FAQ or walk-through, there's an achievement.
When you are finished, call the instructor over to confirm your score. Then create an artifact that answers the following questions:
- What did you expect from the game when you started?
- Give at least one expectation that the game didn't deliver on. How did that change your view of the game?
- On a scale of easy to OMG PAIN, what would you rate the game's difficulty? Convince your reader of your answer.
- Favorite part? Least favorite part? Why should I agree with you?
- Assuming that there was an educational point to this lab, what do you think the point was? Why is this lesson important?
Warning: No, you may not use a Web browser or your fellow classmates for help until after the bell rings. Also, if you tell other people taking this class the right way to do this lab, they won't get the chance to suffer like you did.